Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Report view without access to underlying sheet

We are attempting to create a report view that is a subset of rows driven by a column flag.  We have found that the report viewer will also have access to the underlying sheet with all of the details. 

Our goal it to provide a highlevel summary via the report and restrict access to the subtask details.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thomas

Your Report should contain Filters which restrict the viewers Filtered data view of the source sheet, so in View only mode, you can give them only what you want them to see, in Smartsheet, Excel or PDF. 

You may benefit from my earlier response to a very similar question here.... 

Hi Scott, what you seek is a very popular requirement and you are right that if you need to give your partner editing rights to the Report, you are also are giving them access to edit, the whole source sheet with confidential info contained.

Your choices are these....

Create reports that are View only which they can see in Real time if you publish them which avoids your partner logging in, they just have a link which can include Gantt if relevant. You also need to provide some means of them giving you feedback to "request and edit" from your team. A simple email, fill out a form?

You can automate the sending of a Report by PDF or Excel on a chosen day monthly (view only again).

OR...

by using Appsheet.com with Smartsheet you can privide your partners with a really rich interface UI on any device or platform, slice and Dice the data any way you wish and crucally for you, your partners will only see and edit what you wish them to.

We are helping lots of companies to implement this solution with variations and all the data is still kept in Smartsheet, google sheet, or Excel as Appsheet is just the "conditional logic engine" and the good news it is not expensive, but there is a cost.

Hope that helps?

RichardR  

• My issue is that I want a client to be able to view a report in Smartsheet, but not have access to see the sheet it came from. I just want them to be able to view the report and not the underlying sheet.

Right now, I think the only choice I have is to export it and email or send it at regular intervals, but that just doesn't give the client access to view progress in real time.

This discussion has been closed.