Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can i filter and search based on column values?

edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

hi

I have a column that has text.

Can I serach and  filter that column to show only row that has that text?

thanks

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi 98,

Yes, you can filter for whatever text you're looking for. Once you set the filter you can save it so it can be used over again.

Peace!

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Filters search for specific values, such as "34" or Overdue", not categories such as Text/NotText. 

To accomplish this with a Filter you would have to build a TextCheck column with a formula like =IF(ISTEXT([Column To Check]1), "Text", "Not Text").  Then you could build a filter ot check for Text based on the TextCheck Column.

edited 11/07/16

brett evan , thanks,   i'm new to SS and  it'll take some time for me to do what  just descibed,,,any more details on how to do this??

Would it be possible also to compile a list of each and every text value  in that column but without duplicates?That list should be updated automaticilly and it could be a pop-up window, or in a comment section , or in a seperate sheet.It would be only used as a  reference.

example:

COLUMN A

aaa,bbb,ccc

aaa,ccc,

ddd,

eee

aaa

MY REFERENCE LIST:

aaa

bbb

ccc

ddd

eee

I thought that that's what's comunity was for?

A place where new users get help, then become experienced and then help other new users and so on ?

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have  a lot of questions to answer.  I am sure that they will lead to more.   Smartsheet is very flexible and  there are a lot of ways to get ot solutions.  However, finding one that meets all of your needs requires some planning.

I'd recommend going thru some of the online trainings first, then if needed, working with the Smartsheet consultants or another consuliting group to get thr right soloution for your needs.

• I think you could get something close with a filter that uses both "is not a number" and "is not blank" you might still get some dates in there, but really if it is a date column you could search for "is not a date" too. that is really only going to leave "text" as an option. 

This discussion has been closed.