Issue applying conditional formatting to a symbols drop down

Options

In the far left column of my sheet I have a "status" column which is a dropdown of yellow, red, and green symbols which indicate the general status of the project. I would like to apply conditional formatting which will automatically change this column to red/green/yellow based on conditions in the "difference" column, on the far right.

It seems that conditional formatting only lets me change certain things about a cell or row, like font and background color...is it possible to have conditional formatting apply to a dropdown menu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sam Marritz
    Options

Hey Andree!

Youve been amazingly helpful but I have one follow up question on this. Do I enter the formula into the status column itself? My first few attempts at this were read as "unparseable", but Im guessing thats just a syntax issue. Just wanted to check! thanks!

• Sam Marritz
    Options

I figured it out!!!! thank you so much, your help was perfect I was just applying the formula to the wrong sheet so the column was unrecognized. Thanks again and happy holidays!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Excellent!

Happy to help!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Monica Ramos
    Options

Hi Andree,

I have a similar request so I tried to use the formula sample that you provided but I can't figure it out. I would like to determine the health of a task (red, yellow and green bubbles like the example from Sam) but this time it's based on whether the task is past due (red), due today (yellow), or due in the future (green).

Below is my formula pulling in the Due Date and (Start Date7) which is today's date.

=IF(Due Date@row < [Start Date]7; "Red"; IF(Due Date@row = [Start Date]7; "Yellow"; IF(Due Date@row > [Start Date]7 0; "Green")))

I'm open to any other ideas too. Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Monica Ramos

I hope you're well and safe!

Excuse the late response.

Crazy times and I missed coming back to you.

Have you solved it, or do you still need help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.