Linking sheets together to build fully automated solution.

Hello community,

I am trying to build out a workspace with a few requirements and I don't know if they are possible.

• A project is is submitted through a form and approved. (This is clearly possible).
  • After approval the project is sent to a master list of projects that will have additional columns (possible through copy workflow).
  • Here is where it gets complicated (I think)...
    • Can we automatically create new sheets for a project that is "linked" to the project in the master list? For example, we want a project schedule created for each project automatically. Or maybe a task list for each vendor. The idea is that there is a main schedule but then sub tasks are only viewable by some people.
    • Can we create a view of the project that is only open to some people like the customer that is editable? It would only have the columns they care about and comments that we can control? I don't want customers seeing all comments on a row for example but they should be able to comment themselves.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Hello @cyndi2403 !

For your first point, you could create a template sheet that can be used each time there's a new project (see here on how to create templates). However, it would need to be a manual process for someone to click on the template and create a new sheet for that specific project. You could automate an alert once a row has been created in your master list to notify someone to create the new project sheet from this template.

Based on the process you're describing, you may want to take a look at the premium add-on, Control Center (see here).

For the second point, there is no capability of turning only some of the commenting capability for an outside user, without giving them access to all the comments in that sheet.

If you're on a Business or Enterprise plan, you could publish a sheet in an "Edit by Anyone" format which would allow users with that link, even if they don't have a Smartsheet account, to see and comment on all your rows. Since this would allow them editing access as well, I would recommend locking any columns that you would not want edited.

You could cell-link the information you want displayed to another sheet for publishing, if you want to limit what the users see.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• cyndi2403
    cyndi2403 ✭✭✭

I appreciate your help. Thank you!