Reports: one row per Unique ID

System
System Employee Admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Combining Two Sheets into a Report.

Comments

• Colin_G
    Colin_G ✭✭✭
    edited 01/08/20

Hi @Andrée Starå

I'm looking for something similar - your solution seems to be a good fallback option but of course we wouldn't be able to edit the report here. Let's take a similar example to the above:

Primary Column = Unique ID (on Sheet A and Sheet B)

Column B = Name (on Sheet A)

Column C = Email (on Sheet B)

Is there no way to have one row per Unique ID and have the two other columns beside the Unique ID that would allow me to update, for example, a person's email address in the report itself?

To take this a little further, using the above example, in a more realistic world you might have the name on both sheets so again, given that the column name is the same in both sheets (both called 'Name') and have the same Unique ID, would the above amalgamation be possible?

Hope this makes sense - it's a quite a simple problem that I might be overdescribing!

Thanks

Colin

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Colin,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Colin_G
    Colin_G ✭✭✭

Hello Andree,

Thanks for the kind offer - I've just created some basic example sheets (and a report) and shared the workspace with you. For the benefit of others following this with a similar query, I'm attaching screenshots to this post.

What I'd like, ultimately, is for the report to only show the four rows, with the Unique ID and/or Name being used to combine the information into one row. I doubt it's possible but it's worth asking, just in case.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Colin

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

I'll take a look and get back to you!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭

May be I am missing something, but why do you need a report for the combo? Datamesh is perfect for combining/copy/paste info based on Unique ID.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Colin_G

We tried 😉

For everyone else.

I suggested a cross-sheet formula structure with VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH, but Colin wanted to be able to edit everything together in a report, so that wasn't an option. Datamesh was another option, but the process can't justify the investment.

Remember! Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!