Status Field - Conditional Formatting or If Function?

I am working on creating a tracking sheet for a longitudinal study, where clients need to be re-interviewed every six months until they are discharged from the program. I have a status field for each time point, and have used conditional formatting to change the color of the cell for each record, depending on the situation, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to write in If statements and use a symbol field instead.

I have the conditional formatting structured as such:

• If the 6m Interview (NOMs) field is a date, FORMAT status cell green
  • If the 6m Interview field is blank AND the 6m interview window (calculated date) field is in the next 30 days AND the Discharge Date field is blank, FORMAT status cell yellow
  • If the 6m interview field is blank AND the 6m interview window field is in the next 15 days AND the Discharge Date field is blank, FORMAT status cell bright red
  • If the 6m interview field is blank AND the 6m interview window field is in the past AND the Discharge Date field is blank, FORMAT status cell dark red

I will repeat this process for 12m, 18m and 24m time points.

Will conditional formatting show up in reports and/or dashboards? Or is this why using a symbol field a better choice? Screen shot of sheet attached for context.

Thanks!!

Best Answer

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!