Need to add multiple rows to a Smartsheet from a form

Options

Hi all!

Based on what I've seen online this isn't possible, but thought I would ask anyway. I've created a form for an internal team to submit requests on. If they have more than request (the average is 10-40 at a time) I'd like the Smartsheet to create a new row for each request. The indicator for a new row would for that 'EDP #2' is populated. I was planning to have a form that includes EDP #1-EDP #40 on it. I know there is the reload option after a request has been submitted, but I see it becoming an issue if the same form has to be filled out 40 times.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

Answers

• Stephanie Stewart
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

That's what I thought, thank you for confirming. I've submitted a request, fingers crossed this will ba an added feature in the near future.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Stephanie,

I have an idea for a possible workarounds.

How many fields can there be in each form?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Goo dmorning,

Thank you for reaching out with a possible solution. The initial form I created had 8 fields. One of them being EDP # which there could be 10-40 EDP numbers per request.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Stephanie Stewart

Can you share an example of the form or similar one or some other helpful screenshots. (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Meghan Bowman
    Options

It seems that over the years the ability to submit multiple rows through a form has been a highly requested feature. Does SmartSheet have any update as to whether or not this feature is planned?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Meghan Bowman

Due to the large number of variables our Product Team has to consider, we can't confirm when or if enhancements requests will be built, but submitting the request form (here) is the best way to contact our Product Team and let them know what’s important to you, so they can be considered as possibilities for future development. 

You can keep track of our updates on the Release Notes page (see here) as newly released features will be listed there. You can read more about this in our Help Center article on tracking releases (here).

• Melissa Ray
    Options

Hi All,

Does anyone else have suggestions for work arounds until this feature could be developed?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/01/20
    Options

Hi @Melissa Ray

There are a couple of workarounds.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• ncanales
    ncanales ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all... jumping in here, with the same situation. My company is requiring a contact tracking report with daily audit. I need to be able to:

Have managers fill out a DAILY form, where they will select which direct reports worked on site that day (I would like to have this on a single submission, not having the manager to submit one form per employee)

Have staff on site filling out another contact tracing form

I would then reconcile both to see if all staff on site filled the Contact Tracing form, and create a daily report. To do this, I believe I need the form to generate one line per employee, and as stated before I would need to be done on a single submission.

If there's any idea or workaround I would LOOOVE to hear it

Thanks,

N.

• Sander K
    Sander K ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello all

Is there an update on this one? I really need multiple row inserts with one form.. @Andrée Starå you mentioned something about a work around, could you please elaborate?

Short description of what I need: workers report their daily tasks done with the form, some of them do up to 20 different tasks per day, so that is why refreshing and inserting again is not an option. I have set up several logics with the form, worker chooses first area of work, then the ID of the specific task. Then in the sheet these columns are joined together with JOIN formula to create the Unique ID, and according to unique ID a VLOOKUP formula finds the corresponding task with the same Unique ID from a different sheet. That way we can monitor spent hours on specific task.

Ideally they should choose their tasks from a multi select dropdown, is there a way to break down multi select dropdown with automation or formulas and those specific task IDs divided into other rows?

Thank you

Sander

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sander K

Yes, there is a way to break down the multi-select dropdown.

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ncanales

Yes, I think we could use the same method as Sander.

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

• steinkj
    steinkj ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå I am trying to capture multiple users and their contact information, from multiple teams. I would prefer that the lead enters into one form vs reloading a form for each user, is this possible?

Kim S.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @steinkj

I hope you're well and safe!

How did it go? Did you manage to get something set up?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!