Auto Create Parent Child Hierarchy

Options

Hello Smartsheet Community,

I am planning on sending out a form periodically (every 2 weeks) requesting certain users to feed in the tasks they have performed for that period. I was hoping to set each response as a child row, while the period to which the form relates as a parent row. Is there a way to set an automation rule whereby every time the form is sent out, automatically a parent row is created due to that trigger, and every time an individual responds to the form, their response comes as a child row (with the process repeating the next time the form is sent out)?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Rishabh Ghuwalewala

Smartsheet forms do not currently have the functionality of auto-creating child or parent rows; please submit an Enhancement Request to our Product team from the link on the right when you have a moment!

Instead of using a Form, would it work to schedule an automatic workflow that is an Update Request on child rows, based on specific criteria? It may help to see screen captures of the sheet you're working within (remove any sensitive data), a screen capture of the form, and a bit more detail about your process. 

You can read about Update Requests in our Help Center (click here).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve, thanks for sharing this information with me. I think what you have shared does solve my issue as I have a defined number of child rows and I need to replicate this for a defined period of times. So I can send across a form requesting for an update to the existing child rows.

Many thanks for your help!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Happy to help! :)