Free Collaborators

I have a sheet I set up to track work orders from industrial properties around the country. I collect the data through the use of forms that i have sent via email to each of the property managers who are not licensed users. This has been great to get work orders started and assigned to people in my office. Once they are started, the assigned person in my office (licensed user) is able to communicate with the property managers via Update Requests. So far working out great.

The issue i have is when after a manager submits a new work order through the use of the form, if they have additional data to add (i.e. more photos, quote etc.), they cannot do it unless we send them an Update Request to do so. I can add them all as free users, but I do not want to give them access to the whole sheet where they see work orders at properties they are not associated with. These managers are not our employees and are usually tenants at the industrial properties we own.

Is there a way to set the managers up as Free Users, but only allow them to collaborate on line items that they submit via the form?

Thank you.

Barry

Answers

• Hi Barry,

There is a Premium Application called Dynamic View that enables users to have different views (click here for more information), but this is not currently a functionality within the core Smartsheet application.

Alternatively, you could create separate forms/sheets for each of the property managers, and either share them to that sheet or give them a Published link that allows for edits. You could then use a Report to gather all the information for yourself, into one place across all the different sheets. Would that work?

- Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could make a dashboard with a report filtered by user showing that users access. First add an autonumber column to the sheet so each item has a specific number attributed to it. Then you can have a form that they can submit an open item ticket with that number on a second sheet (Sheet only needs 2 columns, the number column and a created column). A collect(max()) returning the max of the created column for the unique number on the original sheet could be used to send the update request automatically

Not the most optimal solution, but it takes out having to manually send update requests.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could also add a text/number column (that can be hidden after setup if needed) to the main sheet.

Then create an "Update Request" sheet. Build a form on this sheet that captures identifying information from the user.

In the new column on your main sheet, you can use a COUNTIFS formula to look at the identifying information and count how many times it matches the row on the main sheet.

Then setup an automated update request to be sent to the person any time the number in the helper column changes to any value.

They can submit the form, cross sheet referencing formula counts that a new entry has been made by this person and updates the count on the main sheet then the main sheet automatically sends out an update request to them.