Integrating templates, forms and Link From Cell in Another Sheet

Can you create a data collection sheet with several sheets feeding data to the collection sheet via "Link from cell in another sheet".  Then, I want to convert those to templates so new projects can be created as a set that will keep the integrity of the links but from the new set of input links that feed the new data collection sheet??

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rick,

Can you describe your process in even more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Rick Floyd
    Rick Floyd ✭✭✭✭

Let me try to describe what I want in more detail. I am still building and experimenting so, I don't have the sheets done the way I want yet.

I have a master template for new product launches. That is a 5-Gate, phased process from Opportunity Review in Phase 1 and Project Closure in Phase 5. It is a very structured and repeatable process so a standard launch template was created for consistency. In addition, within the template, all the documentation as project evidence are attached as blank documents within the template. Those are Excel files.

Since the launch of that template 2 years ago, we have been looking at converting the Excel files into Sheets and dynamically linking the data into the project plan. All of that is working great. But, I now want to create additional projects for launching by using the template. I also want to use the feeding sheets that were previously Excel documents to feed data to the overall project plan.

But, when I try to do that by creating a new project, I have to go into the feeder sheets and re-establish the links for the new project. Is there any way to create a "packet" that includes the new project and new feeder sheets as a group without having to re-establish all the links?

Does that help?

• Rick Floyd
    Rick Floyd ✭✭✭✭

I stumbled across the answer:

I need to create my project sheet and all of the supporting sheets with their dynamic links defined.  Once that is done, I need to put them into a single folder to create a template set.  Then, when I copy that folder to the project manager's workspace and rename the project sheet to the title representing their project, all of the dynamic links remain intact and updated to the new project sheet name.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a "Template Set" is perfect for this.

Thanks for sharing!

Please help the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.