Send an alert when the date in a date cell moved "up" on the calendar from a later date

Options

I work in product supply, and I need an alert generated when a cell in the "delivery date" column of my sheet goes from a date further out to a sooner date. For example, if the date was 3/10/20 and was changed to 2/28/20, I would want to be alerted. The problem is, I can't specify a specific date, I just need an alert when any of the dates changes to a closer date. Is this possible?

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would need to use either a 3rd party tool or the API to access the cell history.

Otherwise you would have to create a new date column where the old date would be moved into this column (manually) and the new date would be entered into the existing column (manually). Then you would create another column (checkbox type for example) with a formula in it that simply check the box if the previous date in the new column is larger than the new date in the original column. You would then set up your automation based on the checkbox.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @SAM B,

The third-party service, Zapier, is an excellent option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.