How do I change the columns on a task rollup report?

I'm trying to replicate the Task Rollup report that is available in the Smartsheet templates. However, for reasons I can't figure out, I'm unable to get different values for the Status column to populate the columns like the template does. Instead, it imports every task in the base file and it's respective status as rows. I want to instead just have 1 row and the sum of tasks by status in the columns. How do I do this? I'm also unclear on why the template's report has a different Report Builder interface than the version I'm trying to build with my own smartsheet. Why does the template report show each status value as a column to display, but mine only gives the option of displaying what the status is?

Answers

• I figured out my second question - I was using the wrong type of report (row, not summary). However, the summary report builder only gives me system columns, not the status values like the template has. So I'm still missing something! Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My guess is that the other "Columns" are Sheet Summary Fields and that is why they don't show up in the row report.

Makes sense?

Was that the case?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• they might be, but can't figure out how they made them as there's not formula in those columns of the template's report

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I am wondering the same. Where do you change the "Columns to Display"? I cannot figure this out for the life of me and would appreciate any assistance, thank you!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Kelleyanne Buchanan

It looks like you have a Sheet Summary Report type of Report. This type can only have System Columns or Sheet Summary Fields selected as the columns to display. The Sheet Summary is the field from the right toolbar menu of a sheet (see here), which is what the Report is pulling from.

A Row Report pulls from the actual columns within the grid of the sheet. Does that make sense?

• You have the Sheet Summary Report process correct, but the step to add the fields would actually come from your task list or Project Plan. On the right side of the screen, you can click on the "Sheet Summary" icon (2nd from the bottom in my screenshot), and add fields. The formulas will display when you click on the field, so copy and paste one of them, click the "New Field" button, paste the formula into the field and adjust the Status name in the formula. If you do it this way, when you go into the Sheet Summary report you'll be able to add your extra columns.