Auto deletion from the Smart Sheet based on Workflow

Options

Hi All,

I have created a form where Nurse enter decedent patient details. Now my first question is

1) Can I capture the person's email id who is entering the details?

I have created a workflow where for every row which is getting created I have opted "Request for Approval" option as condition.

Now, under the options of "If Declined" can smart sheet delete the row it has created in the smart sheet?

Thank you.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Raviteja,

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible at the moment to conditionally delete a row, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, you could use the move row automation and then delete the sheet with the moved rows or use the Smartsheet API or a third-party service like Zapier.

Would any of those methods work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Raviteja Golla
    Options

Even I thought of moving the records to different sheet :) but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the confidence.

Is there a way to identify duplicates in the smart sheet (not manually)???

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/05/20
    Options

I use a helper column called "Duplicate Check" to identify duplicates. It basically counts the instances of a given entry in the entire column. If the count is more than 1, I have conditional formatting color code the row and workflow automation to send an alert to the Created By person on the duplicate rows.

In my example, I want to count instances of the BOL Number on that row within the entire BOL Number column:

=COUNTIF([BOL Number]:[BOL Number], [BOL Number]@row)

Using "@row" after the column name makes it easy to use the formula throughout the column without concern for row numbers.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/05/20
    Options

@Raviteja Golla

Happy to help! 😉

I saw that Jeff answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best, 

Andrée 

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• James Parry
    Options

I'm looking for way to allow a restricted view (sub set of columns) to and an external organization (I've set up a View Only user group).

1st try: Create a report with just the columns - FAIL. I still need to grant the view only permission to the source sheet

2nd: Create a 'query sheet' that 'VLOOKUPS' just the columns - FAIL same reason as above

3rd: Automation to copy the query sheet or report to a ViewOnly permissioned workspace - FAIL - Automation doesn't exist

4th: Automate copying each from the query sheet to the ViewOnly sheet - PASS (kinda) - FAIL - because there's no automation to delete rows....DESPITE being able to automate Moving them

Another Smartsheet example of getting so close to the finish but falling at the last hurdle.

PLEASE can someone help with ANY of the above workarounds?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @James Parry

I'd answer here as well.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Premium App, Dynamic View
    • Premium App, WorkApps (If you have Enterprise or higher)
    • I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it's using cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method, so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any update on this one? Is there now an option to delete a row via automation?