ADVICE: Any issue or recommendations around Inbound links into the Project Intake sheet

Mary_A
Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have some use cases that would make it important to be able to have inbound links into the Project Intake Sheet. So, for example, I have a Schedule/Task Sheet that has times on it, I want to:

• create the times in the Scheduled/Task Sheet
  • link the time into the Scheduled/Task Sheet into the Profile Metadata sheet
  • from the Metadata Sheet, link the time task back to the Project Intake Sheet

While I can't think of any reason this is not possible, I'm really looking for reasons this can cause problems or issues. Anyone do this type of linking?

Best Answer

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I found that I couldn't really use inbound links. Tho, I was told I could use them. I ended up using an index formula to place information in there.

Answers

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I found that I couldn't really use inbound links. Tho, I was told I could use them. I ended up using an index formula to place information in there.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mary,

Why couldn’t you use Inbound Links?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå

I am using Control Center (CC) with an event planning project.

Intake Sheet --> Profile Metadata --> Event plan

At the intake sheet level, we assign a plan lead and a driver who takes materials to an event. These values are pushed to the Metadata and then to assignment rows in the plan.

Within the Event Plan, we can have between 1 to N additional team members assigned for various tasks.

The Intake Sheet contains a lot of information for an event not found in the Event Plan. But I want to be able to notify the lead, the driver, and all the team members assigned about changes to the plan via an alert on the Intake Sheet.

On the Event Plan, I have an Assigned to Contact column which I roll up via a formula:

=JOIN(CHILDREN(), ", ")

I pull this into the Profile Metadata into a Staff List field to be pushed to the Summary Rollup. My goal was to link from the Profile Metadata back to the Intake Sheet as well. Problem was the CC was not preserving the incoming link when a new row was added. I played around with it trying to get it to work. I tried incoming link direct from the Event Plan, that also wasn't preserved when a new row was added. (Possible my testing was flawed of course.)

Ultimately, I ended up using a formula that pulled the list from the Summary Rollup via an INDEX function into a Staff List contact column on the Intake Sheet. The formula was preserved when new rows were added.

Fact is, I may end up doing something different as Contact types are super tricky (not news to you I'm sure). I have a Slack notification option which may ultimately be better. I am having limited success because of the way CC needs to pass around values as Text/Number rather than preserving types.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you got it working! 

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best, 

Andrée 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.