Automatic Status Update

Options

I've setup a formula which tells me if an entry that was submitted was correct / incorrect. I've also triggered an email based on that to send an email requesting an update to the specific field in question. What I can't figure out is if/how I can switch the status of that row.

In my sheet we have several statuses (Not Reviewed, Pending, Rejected, etc.). In this case, when both things happen, I want to set the Status field to Rejected - is there any way?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike,

If you want it to be automatic, then you won’t be able to change it manually, or you’d need to use something like a third-party service like Zapier to automate it. Is that an option?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike, Andree's explanation is right. You either choose to automate everything, or you choose to do it manually. Once a dropdown is changed manually by a person, all automation goes away because the dropdown choice, overwrites any formula in the cell that is automating the status. Basically you'll need to figure out what is required to make each status and then write a complex IF statement to process the logic based on your needs.

• Mike Rini
    Options

Makes sense. Thank you. I think I'll leave the Rejecting to the team, and put a Flag in there that's easy for them to see. I thought there might be a way to update the drop down automatically, but this is fine.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Excellent!

Happy to help!

There is a way to keep the Dropdown updated with a Premium add-on. Is that an option?

Remember! Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!