"Copy rows" - Replace modified rows instead of creating new one

Options

Hi Community,

I'm using automation workflow with Copy rows from few slave sheets to one master and have issue with adding new row on master sheet instead of modifying existing one (in case when on slave sheets existing rows were changed). Each time when row on slave sheet is being changed (not newly added), then on master sheet line is created one more time as new instead of modify existing one. Is there any chance to keep row -> row relation on master sheet, including all changes made in slave sheets instead of adding each time new line ?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Tomasz,

It might be possible to structure a solution with the help of cell-linking or cross-sheet formulas.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tomasz Gajdus
    Options

Hi Andree,

Thanks for your reply. I've already fixed it by using report so I'm gathering data from sheets into one report and all updates on rows are being updated on report immediately on existing ones instead of adding new one :)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

Glad you found a solution!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mxyzptlk
    Options

Hi, Community,

I'm trying to create and update 200 individual project sheets from a master data sheet. Each of the 4000 rows of the master sheet contains a project ID, task name, and three dates. Once established, I plan to use Data Shuttle to import and update data to the master sheet from our CMS.

Each project will have its own project sheet. Instead of individually linking 4000 different rows among 200 sheets, I would like to autopopulate the individual sheets using data from the master sheet. When a task date changes in the master sheet or a new task is added, I would like it to update the individual sheets.

I can create a template and autopopulate each new sheet using a workflow (filter by project number, copy rows). There are two problems: 1) I need a workflow for each of the 200 projects, and 2) when a date changes in the master, instead of replacing the old date in a particular row, a new row is added to the project sheet. I can handle the first problem. The second problem could lead to discontinuing our use of smartsheet.

It's possible I could follow the lead of Tomasz (3/15/2020) and create a report template that would pull data from the master sheet. That solves the problems with initial population/updates/duplicates, but project managers would want to add and save their own notes to the reports, and I don't think that's possible in a report. Conversations are okay, but they're not visible unless clicked, plus they seem to transfer back to the master spreadsheet. Having all the data in a single view is fairly critical. Any thoughts on a possible solution?

Many thanks!

• Mxyzptlk
    Options

Went with a report and an editable sheet embedded in a dashboard for a single view solution. The report updates automatically when new data is uploaded from the CMS, and the sheet provides the flexibility for project managers to add notes and internal tasks.

• mkinslow
    Options

Now I have to reopen this threat again. :)

I also want to create one sheet with information from 5 source project sheets. If information in the source sheet changes on a row (e.g. date change), I would ideally just to trigger a workflow on this edit into the receiving sheet and overwrite the outdated information (instead of creating a new row).

Is there a way of doing that? or a workaround?

Identifying rows that are semi-identical (short of a change in a field) and only keeping the newer entry and removing the original?