Is there a limit of cells to graph a Pie chart?

I have a list of

Column 4 = String values

Column 3 = Formula ( =COUNTIF({Reference}, [Cell]1)

The list of string values is 295 wich will make 590 Cells (Column 4+Column3) to analyze for a pie chart would that be a problem?? because the chart is not working, I am selecting a shorter range do to not a long of string values have results on Column 3 as a work around but I don't want to have to be changing data range every time.

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @jpagan03101416

If I'm understanding you correctly, Column 4 with your string values would be the title/legend, correct? And column 3 with your numbers is what you want to chart?

I have tested with values up to 100 cells and although I am still able to select a pie chart, it's unmanageable and hard to read with that many values:

Is there perhaps another way to group your data? Could you potentially use formulas to SUM or COUNT different criteria, creating a new sheet of data to be used in a pie chart?

If I've misunderstood your question, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet with the two columns and an explanation of how you want the pie chart to appear.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Hi,

Your Interpretation is correct about Column 4 and Column 3

For the graph no more than a dozen of string values (Titles) are going to have a results that's not 0. My experiences with pie charts on Smartsheet is that values that =0 are not represented in the graph.

• How do you create a Chart from a Report?? Didn't know this function was available

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Haha yes it is!! You can select the report from the chart builder in the same way that you do a sheet.

However you can't select specific rows - it will grab the entire report as the selected data...but if you configure your Report to only show the rows/columns needed, then you want it to pull the entire report anyway.

Here's the full article on using Chart Widgets: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476691-compare-live-data-with-a-chart

Here's an article on controlling widget content when it's from Reports - https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2480331-control-what-people-see-report-chart-widget

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!