Populating a Multi-Select Column from Excel

I am trying to pull my data from Excel into Smartsheet and have it to have multi-select columns.

I am attaching my Word doc with the descriptions and images to explain. I cannot figure out how to get that document to post nicely in this window. :/

I appreciate any and all help.

Teri

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi Teri,

This is great information - thanks for posting your resolution!

• You are welcome. I really hope to save someone else the hours I spent on this. :-)

• Definitely helped me, thank you for sharing!

• I'm having the same issue and am stumped. In Excel, I've replaced the existing commas with Line Breaks per Teri Ann's method (using CTRL Shift J). It looks correct in Excel:

But when I try to paste it into a multi-select column it fails; if I single-click the field, the text copies into multiple rows. If I double-click the field, the data pastes in as a single line text string:

Text Wrapping is definitely on for the column.

What am I doing wrong?

• Hi @FrogHolder_01

I believe the solution above is when the entire sheet is being imported into Smartsheet, versus copy/pasting values from excel into a single cell in Smartsheet.

You can use the format you have above to paste the content into the column properties as values, like so:

Then you can select these values in the cell individually as needed.

I'm not sure if there is a way to directly copy/paste from one Excel cell into a multi-select Smartsheet cell and have it recognize the separate values. What I might suggest doing here is have a regular text/number column where you can paste in the values from excel with commas between the values. Then you can use a column formula to replace a comma with a break, like so:

=SUBSTITUTE([Text/Number]@row, ", ", CHAR(10))

Cheers,

Genevieve