Contact List - Extract First / Last Name?

2»

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Melvin Collins The LEN function simply gives the total count of characters contained within a cell. So the basic logic is that the total number of characters minus the number of characters leading up to the space will give the number of remaining characters which is used to determine how many to pull for the RIGHT function.

thinkspi.com

• @Paul Newcome I'm picking up on this thread and have the same question as Lauren Darvesh: How do we modify this formula which extracts the First Name from a Contact list column to account for Contact list columns that include multiple contacts?

I've included a screen shot below. I have my multi-Contact Column as Loan Servicing Contacts and I'm using =[Loan Servicing Contacts]@row to pull the names into the LS Contact Name column. It accurately pulls both names separated by a comma.

If I wanted ONLY the first names in the column LS Contact Fname, what would that formula look like? I'm using the formula in this original post to extract first name, but it only pulls the first contact, not the second. Is there a way to modify this formula to get all of the first names of contacts listed in the Loan Servicing Contacts column:

=LEFT([Loan Servicing Contacts]@row, FIND(" ", [LS Contact Name]@row) - 1)

Thank you so much for your informative answers!!

Ann

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ann Hannan Will it only ever be 2? If not, what is the maximum number of contacts possible?

There is no "simple" or straightforward way of writing out the formula because we will need to account for the highest number of contacts possible within a single cell.

The easiest way to accomplish this requires more structure but definitely simplifies the formulas a bit. Basically you create helper columns for each contact. You would use one of the parsing solutions available here in the community to parse out the names into their own columns and then wrap each of the parsing formulas in your LEFT/FIND combo.

=LEFT(parsing_formula, FIND(" ", parsing_formula) - 1)

thinkspi.com

• Thank you, @Paul Newcome. I'll have to discuss with the team to see if we can count on 2 contacts max. I'll refer back to your suggestion. I'm thinking that we may be able to simply the need for the info in the first place.