Workflow - several update requests


I need to create a workflow that : sends a 1st update request to someone,

then, depending to the answer, there will be a 2nd update request to someone else,

and then a 3rd update request to another person.

My problem is : The 1st update request is sent (the person got the email). But the 2nd and 3rd person don't get the update request.

I made several tests, with different email addresses etc....

(I can't use approval requests instead of update request because each person needs to be able to leave a comment which is not possible with approval request.)

Could someone help me ?

Thanks a lot


  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Hi Julia,

    Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

    I hope that helps!

    Be safe and have a fantastic week!


    Andrée Starå

    Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

    ✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!


    Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

    W: | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

    Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

  • Many thanks, I shared with you my smartsheet

  • I am struggling with this exact same problem now (at least based on the description Julia provided above).

    I have a multi-step Update Request workflow where each UR is supposed to be triggered by the response of the previous UR form completer. It's successfully going to the first person, but after they complete the UR form... nothing happens. It never gets to person #2 or beyond. Depending on the situation, who-specifically is person #2 or person #3 may change, so I do have some conditional branching that may be interfering... but I'm pretty confident I've got it set up correctly. (Note that like Julia, I also have to use Update Requests instead of Approval Requests because we need to capture comments for business reasons.)

    The workflow I've built is a little to big/wide to screenshot effectively. I'd be curious to know what solution Julia and Andree came up with, but I'd be happy to share my sheet to Andree (or someone else) for guidance.