Upcoming changes to our automated notifications - live today 17th April 2020

Options

Answers

• I set up a number of automations in some sheets for our marketing team. These generic automations that are weekly status notifications are sent under automations@smartsheet.com (see attachment 1) and showed Smartsheet Automation as the sender name.

I was notified by someone that starting yesterday, these notifications are now showing my name (see attachment 2) instead of Smartsheet Automation as the sender name.

What would cause this change and how can it revert back to the generic notification? I am not part of this marketing team, just someone who helped set up their system of tools and resources. This makes no sense.

• Susan Peck
    Susan Peck ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Leslie,

I TOTALLY agree! This is a new "feature" that Smartsheet added to make email notifications more personal. However, in my organization I own a lot of sheets that are used by others and never use myself. Emails coming from me are confusing. Even for sheets I work with regularly that send notifications to a large number of people it makes no sense for them to be shown as coming from me.

I can understand the feature might be nice in a small project or department setting. Maybe Smartsheet could add a choice in the Automation setup to allow the Sender to be an individual (sheet owner) or something more generic?

Glad I'm not the only one less-than-thrilled with this improvement.

susan

• I fear the only way to change this is to change my name in my profile to Smartsheet Automation, for real.

• Susan Peck
    Susan Peck ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That seems like a rather drastic workaround, but it may be the best alternative at the moment.

Smartsheet, are you listening?

• pierced
    pierced ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm another user that has created many sheets for many different departments and want nothing to do with their processing, yet Smartsheets new "feature" to make sheets more "personal" has thrown an wrench in this.

Now users are getting emails that appear as they are coming from me but are actually coming from smartsheet, and are contacting me with regards to processes in departments I have nothing to do with.

I'd also add, as the IT Admin for our org I configured all external emails to have a banner on them notifying staff when an email is coming from an external source. This is done to prevent staff from falling for Display Name spoofing in phishing emails (banner just reminds them to verify the sender Display name matches the email source).

Now Smartsheet is sending my users emails using my name and email address and my users think they are phishing attacks because that's what we've trained them to do. Thanks Smartsheet, really nicely done. I guess email security is something we should ignore.

• Jose Figueroa
    Jose Figueroa ✭✭
    edited 04/21/20
    Options

Does anyone know if we change plans, are we able to modify this. So, we are in the business plan now, if we go to Enterprise are we able to change to a generic address?

We are in desperate need of alternatives.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jose Figueroa no option to do so on my Enterprise account. I submitted a Product Enhancement request.

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have also submitted enhancement requests. Not sure if they will go back on this one, but we are having big issues as our users are freaking out since they now get e-mails from people they don't usually work with and may not even know.

• Dina Gerbasio
    Options

Hi everyone,

The workflow email notifications I have set up are coming through with my name instead of a generic name/email address -- does anyone know how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.

• Dina Gerbasio
    Options

Here's a screenshot how they are currently coming through

• Susan Peck
    Susan Peck ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dina,

Smartsheet made this a new "feature" to personalize emails. You aren't the only one with this issue. See this thread:

Please let your Smartsheet account person or send comments to productinfo@smartsheet.com to voice your concerns. A lot of the rest of us are in the same situation.

susan

• Dina Gerbasio
    Options

Thank you for your help with this! I will do so!

• Jason Murphy
    Options

Hi Folks,

Recently, a change must have been made to the from name on automation emails. These emails used to be from 'Smartsheet Automation'. They are now marked as being from the person who owns the smartsheet.

How can this be customised?

Thanks,

Jason.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment it's not possible to change it, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

Here's another post discussing the change that was made.

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/247263#Comment_247263

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SYSPK
    SYSPK ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd also like to change this. I'm the owner of many alerts that hundreds of people see, and everyone's reaching out to me now.