Display Filtered Data in a Dashboard

Hello,

I created a few filters which I would like to display in a dashboard. Is it possible to only display filtered data in a Dashboard? I cannot figure out how to do this? Help please.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi Harley,

If you Publish a sheet and then embed it as a Web Content Widget you could display a window into the whole sheet from the Dashboard. From here, users can select which filter they want to apply, as long as you have these filters "shared" (see here).

Alternatively, if you're looking to only display a certain filtered view without giving the ability to see the rest of the content, you could create a new Report to filter out rows. Then you can publish & display the Report instead of the sheet. Would that work for you?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• StephanieStepney
    StephanieStepney ✭✭✭✭✭

I am looking for this answer as well. @Genevieve P. the report option wouldn't work for me as I am trying to display card view as a web content widget

• Genevieve P.

Hi @StephanieStepney

Reports can display your content in Card View!

You could set it up so the default view is Card View in a Published link to your Report, then put that in a Web Content Widget.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• StephanieStepney
    StephanieStepney ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you!!! I forgot to come back and update this request when I found that!

• Paul G.
    Paul G. ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. I am looking for a similar solution to create a link on a dashboard which will open a sheet (not a report) with a specific filter applied.

Sheet 1 contains the results of a survey using a Smartsheet form.

Sheet 2 is a sheet which contains link/formula to the comments from the survey, the course the survey is for, and the email of the individual submitting the survey.

For each course a dashboard is created from the survey results. I would like to create a link on the dashboard which will open sheet 2 with the filter applied for the specific course. I have read other suggestions of filtering sheet 2 and then copy the URL and paste it in as a link. This has not worked.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Paul

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Paul G.

What you explained at the end is what I would have suggested. When you created the filter, did you make sure it was a Shared filter? Then you should be able to copy the URL with the Filter ID at the end of the URL to ensure that it opens with that filter applied.

• Paul G.
    Paul G. ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Genevieve P.

I went back and checked the filters, and they are shared filters. Again, I removed the prior link and recreated it. This time it did open the sheet in a filtered view. It could have been something in the way I copied the URL, or....

Thanks again for fielding this question.

Paul

• Aider
    Aider ✭✭

Hello @Genevieve P. What do you mean by adding the filter ID at the end of the URL? I have shared filters for a sheet, when I get the embedded code each filter has a different URL, however when those URLs are added to a dashboard they display the whole sheet not the filtered information.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Aider

The filter ID URL response is in regards to having a link on the Dashboard, such as a hyperlink behind an image going to the shared sheet.

If you're embedding a Published sheet into a Dashboard with the Web Content Widget, this will show the full sheet - users will need to select the filter they'd prefer (see my first response on this thread 🙂)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• damon.tackett
    damon.tackett ✭✭
    edited 08/01/23

Hopefully this is related enough to this question to be applicable.

Is it possible to display on a report the information conditions that are being filtered? In this case I am filtering by DealerName but it doesn't show up so when sharing the report the person looking at it has to go into the filter to see what DealerName is being looked at?

UPDATE: I figured out that if I added a second Grouping I could pull the information I needed.

One additional question though....can you hide the Total line? When I changed the grouping it duplicated the information. I am dealing with sales people so the cleaner the better...haha

• Genevieve P.

Hey @damon.tackett

I'm glad you figured out how to add the Dealer Name into the Report!

There currently isn't a way to hide the Total line at the top. What I would potentially recommend doing here is add that name to the Title of the Report, if it's what you're filtering by. That way they can see it right away and you can keep the original grouping.

Another option would be to use formulas in a sheet to generate the same numbers. With this option you could add more information to bring context to the numbers as well. Let me know if you'd like to see an example of that and I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Genevieve