Importing Excel Spreadsheets into Smartsheet

I am trying to automate a function that we desperately need. We have a spreadsheet that is generated every morning and every night. I want to import it into a Smartsheet that I will use for a Dashboard. My problem is that every time I import the spreadsheet it creates a new Smartsheet and I lose my Summary fields. I need it to dynamically update my Dashboard.

Is it possible to import the data into the same Smartsheet every time so I don't lose my Summary fields?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jon Baier
    Jon Baier ✭✭✭✭

Instead of importing, can you open the Excel file, copy all the data, then paste into your Smartsheet? As far as I know, importing will create a new sheet.

You can copy the summary from one sheet to another as well. At least you won't have to rebuild the summary. That may not help with your dashboard since it won't know about the new sheet that was created regardless if the summary info is the same.

Community Post I found....

And finally, it sounds like Smartsheet's premium app Data Uploader does just what you are asking...

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you need to replace the current data or add to it?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you so much for all of your comments.

First of all, I'm trying to get this as automated as possible so in my "dream world" my Excel spreadsheet will be created automatically and then Smartsheet would automatically import the spreadsheet and overwrite the previous Smartsheet and my Summary Fields would stay intact. I haven't fully explored Smartsheet yet to know if you can schedule jobs (my import) like you can in other applications. I don't have a problem with the intermediate step of importing but I'm trying to have as little manual intervention as possible so that my whole team can use the Smartsheet and Dashboard without having to update it. Like I said, "dream world"!

As for the premium app, I'm assuming it's an additional cost. I don't make the purchase decisions but I can certainly bring it up to see if maybe others in the organization could use it. I will look into that option further to see if it meets my needs.

I can certainly accomplish what I need with either the copy and paste or the copying of summary fields. I'm just trying to get an automated process going.

Thanks again for ALL input! I will consider all of my options!

• I'm thinking Data Uploader would be perfect. Now if I can just convince the upper management that it's a very wise investment! 😉

• I found out we already have Data Uploader! That's a win for me! 😊 Thanks again for everybody's help.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Penny Wilson

Haha! Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I am using Data Shuttle, which seems to be the new name for Data Uploader and I can't browse to anything on my hard drive. How do I do that? Even the training video doesn't tell.

• Peggy Parchert
    Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @ljlabrie2

If you are using DataShuttle, you would need to attach your excel spreadsheet to a sheet in Smartsheet. Then select the Smartsheet Attachment option for your Source in the Upload. This sheet for the attachment could just be a helper sheet.

Depending on what you are doing another option would be to create a new sheet in Smartsheet using Import from Excel. Go to any workspace and right click to open the below dropdown menu.

Hope this helps.

Peggy

• So, each time I want to import from Excel, I have to create a new sheet? That is a lot of work and litters my folder with outdated sheets that I have to delete. Why can't I upload data from a .xlsx spreadsheet to an existing smartsheet?

• Peggy Parchert
    Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ljlabrie2

As mentioned previously, one option is to import from Excel. However, yes, this will create a new sheet each time you perform the import.

Alternatively, you can use DataShuttle. If you have an existing sheet that you want to update with data from an Excel file, attach the Excel file to that sheet. Then, using DataShuttle, select the option to pull data from a Smartsheet attachment, and choose the Excel file you uploaded. This way, you can update the existing sheet without creating new ones.

Peggy