Alert someone Workflow - Company Group Email Address

Options

Through our company Outlook, we have a few group email addresses. When an email is sent one of these email addresses it distributes the email to the people who are set up in the distribution list within Outlook.

Since you cannot alert a Smartsheet group within a workflow (I've submitted an enhancement request already!) we were trying to send the alert to a specific Outlook group (POR@companyname.com). We set this group up as an individual contact with that email address and invited them to Smartsheet. However, the workflows do not seem to send to the distribution group associated with that group in our Outlook. (they'll send to individual people in our Smartsheet contacts, but not the POR@ email address). We cannot utilize the "send to people the sheet is shared with" as there are people who need access to the sheet, but do not need the alert workflows we are setting up.

Does anyone have any feedback on this? Is it not working because the invitation sent cannot be accepted by the generic email address? Is there something we can do on our end to allow it to come through and work as intended? We would prefer not to have to update EVERY workflow every time a person enters or exits that particular group.

Any help/thoughts are appreciated!

Best Answer

• Amanda Merrigan
    Amanda Merrigan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It appears that...

"The group POR only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list."

Looks like it's an internal issue and we'll be in touch with IT.

Thanks anyway @Andrée Starå !

Hope someone else comes across this and it helps them 😉

Now if Smartsheet would just allow workflow alerts to be sent to Groups created in Smartsheet we'd be set 😋

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/08/20
    Options

Hi Amanda,

It doesn't need to be approved.

Have you looked so It's not a permission thing?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Amanda Merrigan
    Amanda Merrigan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/08/20
    Options

Thanks for your quick response @Andrée Starå .

Do you mean Smartsheet permission? We didn't set this email up to be licensed, or even a managed account as there is no actual email address "POR"...it's just the means of distributing to a group of other email addresses. So basically, this POR contact will always be invited, but never active.

I'm assuming the group email is not being registered to send to the distribution list when it comes from outside our Outlook platform. I may have to put this to our internal IT to see if they have a solution.

• Amanda Merrigan
    Amanda Merrigan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It appears that...

"The group POR only accepts messages from people in its organization or on its allowed senders list, and your email address isn't on the list."

Looks like it's an internal issue and we'll be in touch with IT.

Thanks anyway @Andrée Starå !

Hope someone else comes across this and it helps them 😉

Now if Smartsheet would just allow workflow alerts to be sent to Groups created in Smartsheet we'd be set 😋

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AmandaM

Ok. Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

I'm always happy to help!

Please help the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.