Adding a value to a cell with pre-existing value based on another checkbox cell

I am trying to add a value to a cell if a checkbox is checked. The cell I am trying to add to is already populated with an existing value. I want to add the two for a new value.

If Lift check box is checked then add $467.50 to revenue cell(already populated with $1800, for a total of $2267.50

Trying with this, but no luck - =IF([Lift3]@cell = 1, ([Projected Revenue3] + 467.50))

I can use just use a nested IF - =IF(Lift3 = 1, "$2267.50", IF(Lift3 = 0, "$1800.00")) but the problem is that then I can't SUM them at the bottom of the column, because I guess it sees it as text????

I have a feeling I am way off.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Shawnob1

Depending on how the current value is populated, it may be easier to create a new, helper column where you have this formula.

I notice that you have the number 3 next to the column names - is that number actually in the name of the column itself, or is this a row reference? I've removed it in my example formula, assuming that your column names are "Lift" and "Projected Revenue" without the number.

Try This:

=IF(Lift@row = 1, [Projected Revenue]@row + 467.50, [Projected Revenue]@row)

This says, if the checkbox is checked, add 467.50 to the number in the Projected Revenue column for this row. If it is not checked, return the number in the Projected Revenue column in this row without any adjustment.

Let me know if you have any questions about this! If it doesn't work for you, it would be useful to see a screen capture of your sheet in Grid View (but please block out any sensitive data).

Here are some article I used to help build this: @row function / Column Reference / IF statement

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Shawnob1

Depending on how the current value is populated, it may be easier to create a new, helper column where you have this formula.

I notice that you have the number 3 next to the column names - is that number actually in the name of the column itself, or is this a row reference? I've removed it in my example formula, assuming that your column names are "Lift" and "Projected Revenue" without the number.

Try This:

=IF(Lift@row = 1, [Projected Revenue]@row + 467.50, [Projected Revenue]@row)

This says, if the checkbox is checked, add 467.50 to the number in the Projected Revenue column for this row. If it is not checked, return the number in the Projected Revenue column in this row without any adjustment.

Let me know if you have any questions about this! If it doesn't work for you, it would be useful to see a screen capture of your sheet in Grid View (but please block out any sensitive data).

Here are some article I used to help build this: @row function / Column Reference / IF statement

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Shawnob1

Not sure I follow!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Shawnob1
    Shawnob1 ✭✭✭

Thanks Genevieve

That did the trick!

• Genevieve P.

No problem - so great to hear that!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!