Can't perform date calculations on a Date returned by a cross sheet JOIN(COLLECT(VLOOKUP function

Options

Hi,

To populate DueDate3, I'm using:

=JOIN(COLLECT({GUT Column 7}, {GUT Column 2}, <>"Postponed", {GUT Column 2}, <>"Rescheduled", {GUT Column 1}, VLOOKUP(TaskName1, {GUT Column 1}, 1, false)))

to return a date from another sheet. (It is a date data type in the other sheet).

In another cell, I want to use something like =DueDate3 - 28 to be used as a threshold date for conditional formatting, but getting an #INVALID OPERATION error.

Is the returned date no longer a DATE data type? How can I turn it into a DATE so I can perform DATE operations on it?

Thanks for any help!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The JOIN function converts the output to a text value. You would need to either use an additional column to convert the JOIN output into a date (extra column), nest the JOIN formula into VALUE/MID formulas to pull portions to nest inside of a DATE function (very bulky), or we can try a different function altogether.

Without seeing the source data I can't tell if it can be simplified beyond using an AND function for the {GUT Column 2} criteria. I am not sure exactly the function of your VLOOKUP, so I am going to leave that portion as is and use an INDEX instead of a JOIN.

=INDEX(COLLECT({GUT Column 7}, {GUT Column 2}, AND(@cell <>"Postponed", @cell <>"Rescheduled"), {GUT Column 1}, VLOOKUP(TaskName1, {GUT Column 1}, 1, false)), 1)

• Kevin Segrist
    Options

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the very quick response!

I wound up using:

= DATE(VALUE(MID(DueDate$3, 7, 2)), VALUE(MID(DueDate$3, 1, 2)), VALUE(MID(DueDate$3, 4, 2))) - 28

Which seems to be doing what I wanted.

If you're interested, there is a sample of what I started with here:

Thank you again!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I assume you put that into another column? If so, that would be what I would have suggested for my first bit where we convert the JOIN into a date value.

• Kevin Segrist
    Options

In fact, I used the same column, but yes, I did have to convert the result to a date format, as you suggested, which is what I was struggling with. In the screenshot below, DueDate3 is returned from the master sheet, (since it points to a dummy record, the alternate conditional value is "TODAY()"), and all columns beneath are based on that date.

I have had a lot of fun learning to use Smartsheet, and I'm sure much of what I'm doing is very unorthodox. I can't say enough good things about you and others for your attentiveness and timely support! Thanks tons! :)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ah. Ok. The screenshot helps clarify.

I am kind of curious what you mean by...

"(since it points to a dummy record, the alternate conditional value is "TODAY()")"

Are you just trying to pull the date generated by the TODAY function?

As for the support... Happy to help! 👍️

• Kevin Segrist
    Options

No, this is intended to be used as a template... but since templates don't retain cross-sheet formula functionality, it's just a regular sheet that the user saves a copy, double-clicks "Previous Weeks", (the first row in the master sheet), and selects his/her client, and all the rest auto-populates.

The TODAY() function is used because there is no data in the "Status" column of the master sheet, (a dropdown with nothing selected), returns nothing, leaving a blank cell, causing #INVALID DATA TYPE, which looks ugly. I even added a third contition in my Collect() to check for "", but still got a blank cell. There is a date in the master "UpgradeDate" column, but it's a meaningless date, so TODAY() works. It would make more sense if I could show you the master sheet, but sensitive data, etc...

I'm sure as I become more proficient I'll look back and laugh at this overall approach. In any case, this suits my needs quite well for now.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are correct that TEMPLATES do not retain cross sheet references, but sheets do. I personally save a template in my own sheets as a back-up, but then have people "Save as New" from a sheet that is just called a template. This way cross sheet formulas and cell links can be maintained.

As for the error, whatever formula is generating it can be wrapped in an IFERROR to generate a blank instead of the error like so...

=IFERROR(original_formula, "")

• Kevin Segrist
    Options

Yes, "Save as New" is exactly what I tell my users too, and of course, I keep a backup of the latest version, in case someone doesn't follow instructions, or accidentally forgets. I had previously included instructions in row1/col1 on how to link to another sheet, but creating the link in my template sheet to that dummy record makes it so much simpler... double-clicking makes it perfectly obvious, since the dialog loads the master sheet already being used.

I will give IFERROR a try, thank you for that!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!