Metric Sheet or Sheet Summary?

Options

Could someone explain the differences and benefits of using a metric sheet or a sheet summary?

I have a project that has several grids, reports, and dashboards, and I need to add some metrics from the grids into a dashboard. I have created sheet summaries, and was using those to populate the dashboard, but have heard that a metric sheet might make more sense - especially because I have multiple grids to reference in a main dashboard.

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/28/20
    Options

Hi @Lee Ratzlaff

My quick two cents.

It depends on the need and use-case.

Sheet Summary

• Excellent for metrics/text where you want to show them on the specific sheets Dashboard (Project Dashboard), and you don't need to calculate further on the values.
    • Also great when you want to get a simple overview of multiple sheets and specific KPI's or information.
    • Great place to store/show project information and metrics that are useful to see in the sheet.

Master Metric Sheet

• Excellent when you need to do further calculations and when you need to reference something (Assigned To, Customer, Month and so on)
    • Also great when you need to calculate/compare multiple sheets (Projects)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sheet Summary works well if you have a bunch of similar grids that have similar metrics. You can then create in one sheet and copy to the others and create a report based on sheet summary metrics from all the sheets. Also useful to pull metrics from a single sheet into a dashboard.

Metrics sheet is good if you want to create summary data across different sheets and then possibly create additional calculations on that data in the metrics sheet itself to use in reports and dashboards.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!