how to get ° degrees circle symbol in a cell

How do I write the degree symbol and is there a sheet with all symbol shortcuts available somewhere, not just the most popular?

Best Answer

• Connor Hartford
    Connor Hartford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Lisa,

You can use the ASCII code.

ALT + 0176 (hold down ALT, then press type '0176' on the numeric pad).

Smarthsheet doesn't have a list of ASCII codes, but you can just search the internet for a list of ASCII codes any of those lists should work for inserting symbols.

Connor

Connor Hartford

Answers

• Connor Hartford
    Connor Hartford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Lisa,

You can use the ASCII code.

ALT + 0176 (hold down ALT, then press type '0176' on the numeric pad).

Smarthsheet doesn't have a list of ASCII codes, but you can just search the internet for a list of ASCII codes any of those lists should work for inserting symbols.

Connor

Connor Hartford

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/29/20

I put together a list of a fair amount (but not all) CHAR and UNICHAR functions (LINK HERE). These would be used to enter the symbol in a formula. For example if I wanted to join a list of cells together but have a line break between each one, I would use

=JOIN([Column1]@row:[Column5]@row, CHAR(10))

In the above I used CHAR(10) (which is the line break) as the delimiter.

Another example would be if I wanted to display two values one above the other but in the same cell, I could have something like this...

="Type A: " + COUNTIFS(Type:Type, "A") + CHAR(10) + "Type B: " + COUNTIFS(Type:Type, "B")

and the output would display as

Type A: #

Type B: #

but within the same cell.

So if you were using a formula to calculate your temperature instead of manually entering it, you could look through the list for the appropriate symbol and add it to the end like so...

=calculation_formula + UNICHAR(#####)

EDIT: It looks like you are going to be using either CHAR(176) or UNICHAR(176)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!