I am trying to create a form where if Work Location = X then a drop down list of employees appears.

For example, if I create a column of employee names as a drop down, and I create a column for location, is it possible when I select a location, it modifies which employees show up in the employee column drop down?

Answers

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kate Sims . You can make a workaround of sorts with multiple employee columns and a combination of conditional logic in the new forms. Here's an example of the sheet and form.

When you select a company in the form the conditional format will only display that company's drop down for employees. Hopefully this can help you out!

• I have done that, however it doesn't appear to be working.  I created a logic that say when location = A then show columns B, C D, & E.  When location = A1 then show columns C, D, E & F.  However, when I view the form, and select a location, none of the logic is being applied it still shows every single column.

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My form logic picture might be a little confusing. You'll need to create a unique rule for each location and matching location staff. So I have a 3 rules, one for location A that only shows the A staff, one for B with B staff, and the same for C staff. You should only have to select one column in each rule before any select. Does that help at all?

• It does, however it's not applying the rules from the logic.  It shows every single column regardless of the location and rules.

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kate Sims can you share a screenshot of your sheet and one of the forms with logic so we can see the issue? Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!