Formula that crosses three sheets with multiple conditions

13»

Answers

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

if the parties segregated to the "Public" use data don't need to change/edit data you could use a report filtered by person accessing the information. This way you don't need to worry about cross sheet stuff.

• @L@123 The formula you put together towards the beginning of this string of posts did actually produce a value (on a small scale, and for one owner). I think you were on the right track, but not being able to discuss via a phone call or web session is proving difficult. Is there any way to talk through this?

As a note, I am going to try to reach out to the Smartsheet Pro Desk to see if I can communicate the formula request over the phone.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good idea, you can also get in touch with your direct representative. in the meanwhile try this formula out.

=SUMIFS({PR-260-SD-HMH-Enterprise Solution Design Range 1}, {PR-260-SD-HMH-Enterprise Solution Design Range 2}, CONTAINS([Project Manager]@row, JOIN(@cell)), {PR-260-SD-HMH-Enterprise Solution Design Range 3}, @cell < 1) * INDEX({*** DO NOT SHARE *** PMO - Costing Informa Range 2}, MATCH([Project Manager]@row, {*** DO NOT SHARE *** PMO - Costing Informa Range 1}, 0))

I've built this out to prove that the solution follows the parameters you've asked for(admittedly I only used one sheet though), if this one doesn't work we most likely have an issue with the ranges.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@L@123 I think the biggest problem is keeping Sheet B off of Sheet A. I wonder if we could use a JOIN/DISTINCT to pull the names from Sheet A into Sheet C and then use a SUMIFS on Sheet C?

Currently the owner(s) are not listed on Sheet C where we want the totals, and the totals on Sheet C are not listed out by owner. They are a total from multiple owners on Sheet A with different dollar amounts on Sheet B as a single grand total on Sheet C.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome In my experience Distinct doesn't work across sheets if you have more than just a handful of values. I believe there is a hard stop of some sort built in to prevent it from running. Last week I had a formula not work because of this.

I think sheet c is the simplest part of this, just a simple sumifs referencing 2 columns with 1 criteria. It is the formula on sheet a that calculates the total/person where I am having difficulties. Something is going on that I'm not catching, if the formulas are correct, then it would have to be in the ranges.

@Daniel Arvesu Can you name your ranges as following so we can see exactly what we are looking at?

{Sheet Letter - Column Name}

Example for sheet "A", column "% Complete"

{A - % Complete}

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@L@123 I was under the impression that we didn't want ANY totals on Sheet A. @Daniel Arvesu Can you confirm?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• @Paul Newcome @L@123 That is correct, we do not want any calculations/totals/outputs occurring on any sheet except for Sheet C. I will work to get your other questions answered here in a few minutes, sorry for the delay.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Since we do not want any calculations occurring on Sheet A, I am going to suggest my earlier solution about making a restricted copy of Sheet A, using cell links to keep the copy matching the hours, then running the cross sheet formulas on Sheet C referencing the copy.

10xViz.com

• @Paul Newcome What if, in the middle of the project, a new task is added to Sheet A? Would it show up in the restricted copy Sheet A or would i have to have twice the effort in adding to both sheets?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on the exact setup of Sheet A, there may be a way to use a Copy Row Automation to pull the new row to the sheet and use cross sheet references instead of cell links to pull the WHR.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!