Index Match plus 1 row

Hi,

I am trying to get an excel index match formula working and going round in circles.

I have two problems - the first is I am getting a 'no match' when I know the data should match:

=INDEX({Sheet - Date List Range 3}, MATCH([1st quarter of project deliverable]1, {Sheet - Date List Range 3}, 1), 1)

The second is I want the formula to move to the next quarter

So I have a sheet with a row of quarters:

Q 1 2020

Q 2 2020 etc

and my main sheet with columns that look like:

1st Quarter 2nd Quarter

What I am trying to do is say if the quarter in column 1 is Q 1 2020 then the 2nd column needs to be Q 2 2020.

The reason I am doing this is because the quarter in column 1 is a variable.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Charlotte

Best Answer

• Charlotte Patey
    Charlotte Patey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you for answering above,

In case it helps anyone else, a colleague helped me with the following solutions which in the end did not need a complicated match query;

Formula 1 - user enters a date and and the system automatically search the quarter & year it is in (there is no need to reference another sheet).

="Q " + (INT((MONTH([Start Date]1) + 2) / 3)) + " " + YEAR([Start Date]1)

Formula 2 – the formula recognises the previous quarter and looks up the next quarter (I was able to do this by adding an additional column to the ‘Sheet - Date List’ called “following Q & Y”. I just added the next quarter and with the vlookup formula it worked fine.

=VLOOKUP([1st quarter of project deliverable]1, {Next quarter}, 7, false)

Simple but effective

Answers

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Match returns an integer based on the array you are analyzing.index takes that integer and uses it as a location finder to return a value. All you need to do is add a 1 to your match to get the next value beyond. I'd need to see the dataset in order to tell you more about why your match is returning an error.

• Charlotte Patey
    Charlotte Patey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you for answering above,

In case it helps anyone else, a colleague helped me with the following solutions which in the end did not need a complicated match query;

Formula 1 - user enters a date and and the system automatically search the quarter & year it is in (there is no need to reference another sheet).

="Q " + (INT((MONTH([Start Date]1) + 2) / 3)) + " " + YEAR([Start Date]1)

Formula 2 – the formula recognises the previous quarter and looks up the next quarter (I was able to do this by adding an additional column to the ‘Sheet - Date List’ called “following Q & Y”. I just added the next quarter and with the vlookup formula it worked fine.

=VLOOKUP([1st quarter of project deliverable]1, {Next quarter}, 7, false)

Simple but effective

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!