Using COUNTIF and AND Together

I am trying to count the number of times a person is assigned as a project lead, and only if the project is currently in progress. I'm still pretty new to functions and am having a hard time figuring out what i missed here. I only want to count if it meets both criteria.

I haven't done much with helper columns yet, so not sure if this is a situation where i need that. Any help would be appreciated!

=COUNTIF({Project Lead}, "Lynn Meadow", AND({Project Status}, CONTAINS("In Progress", @cell)))

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Lynn Meadow,

This formula should work if you pop it into a sheet summary field or a metrics sheet. It would be a little different if you are trying to display the count on the sheet itself.

=COUNTIFS([Project Lead]:[Project Lead], [Project Lead]:[Project Lead] = "Lynn Meadow", [Project Status]:[Project Status], "In Progress")

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Lynn Meadow
    Lynn Meadow ✭✭✭✭

Thanks so much. I forgot about the difference with COUNTIFS. I still had to tweak a bit, but got it to work. I am using a metrics sheet and referencing to the main project list.

=COUNTIFS({Project Lead}, [Team Member]@row, {Project Status}, CONTAINS("In Progress", @cell))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!