Workflow denial with update request

I am trying to create a workflow that has an update request with a denial to ask for more information. I can't get it routed back to the approver once the additional information has been provided. Is there a way to "restart" the workflow? I can added an action after the denial to request an approval, but it kicks off immediately after the denial without the update being complete. Thank you!

Answers

• Hi Sara,

What I would do in this scenario is to set up a Helper Column in your sheet, perhaps a checkbox column called "Re-Submit for Approval" that is a column to be checked as part of the Update Request in your first workflow.

Then you can set up a second Approval workflow that will run with the trigger of when a row is modified to have that box checked, request another approval (like above). From here you can choose to either have this approval go in a second column or update your current Approval column, does that make sense?

Where this may get tricky is if you need to loop back again. How many times do you think this will need to happen? If the above situation won't work for you, it would be helpful to see what the trigger is for this approval request... and even more helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet in grid view (but please block out any sensitive data).

Thanks!

Genevieve

• We are only doing one round of denial\approval. This process worked great. Thank you!

• Wonderful! Glad this works for you 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!