Static children sort order when you Sort a Parent Row

Options

I have a smart sheet with several columns. I also have over 100 parent rows with several nested children rows under each. These children rows are almost always the same and I would like them to be in the same order under each parent. The problem is that when I sort the sheet by different columns it sorts the children and I only want it to sort by the parent row and leave the Children in the same order.

If someone knows how to fix this please let me know. I found one solution that worked but only if you sorted the sheet with one column. I want to be able to sort the sheet by different columns.

For Example I have 1 column called "serial Number" the primary column and one column called "Project Number" I sort by each of these columns. So if I set the children to a specific order and then I sort by one of these columns then the sort of the children change.

Thank you,

Hillary

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi Hillary,

What if you included a "Helper" column which assigned a specific number to each child row? You could start with 1 for the first row, then 2, then if you select both these cells you can drag-fill the numbering down all the way to the bottom of your sheet. (Make sure that you have expanded all rows before you do this, so you number them all).

Then your third criteria could be to sort this Helper Column in order. This will make sure that the Child Rows appear in the correct spot!

If this doesn't work, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of a section of your sheet so we can see exactly which columns are being used. (But please block out any sensitive data!)

Cheers,

Genevieve