Create a sub task from a task

Options

I need to start using sub tasks. I already have hierarchies built into my input sheet.

Much of the information on the parent must also be included in the child tasks

Is it possible to systemically copy data from a parent task into a sub task? Or Add a link to the parent record onto the child?

I'm not sure a formula will work since the formula will be overwritten as new records are created

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Stavros_McGillicuddy

Hi Stavros

May I ask what type of sheet you are refering to with this question? A Project Sheet's Parent task would be classed as a Summary Task and so it would summarise all its children, so the logic for the child having the same data wouldn't necessarily work here. However, if you are talking about a tracking type grid sheet, then it is possible to use some formulas to create some links back to parent row data.

Since the increased sheet capacity has been released, we have more columns to play with so you can collect data in one column and use a formula to concatenate / merge data from a parent with the child data.

If you could give an example of the type of thing you'd want to achieve. Maybe set up a sheet manually and highlight the bits that you'd need to pull in from the parent row then I could mock up a demonstration sheet for you (potentially)?

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Debbie

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!