Many columns on sheet - not all appear as options in a report?

Happy faux Friday!

I'm working with a very large (about 30 columns) data sheet in Smartsheet. I'd envisioned it as the one source of truth to feed multiple reports.

The problem is the latest report I'm trying to build, the 5 columns that I need to appear and provide data, are not showing up in the columns from which I can select. I've refreshed, I've saved, I've waited a couple days... it still isn't working. Help!

Best Answer

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KLM

Are you looking in the Columns button circled in red below? If not, it could be that the 5 columns are contact (who) or date (when) columns and you are looking in the "what" section. I hope that helps.

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Hi Matt - you know what? I don't understand WHY it works (I was looking in the What column) but when I looked in Columns, the fields showed up. So strange, and what a frustrating reminder that I need to level up my Smartsheet game.

Regardless, you got me unblocked - THANK YOU!!! Have a wonderful weekend.

• Laura Bartlett
    Laura Bartlett ✭✭✭✭

Hello- I am having a similar issue. I am attempting to add a date field to a report. This field has been on the sheet for at least a year-- and likely the entire history of the sheet. But it is not an option to be added. I tried to create a new report and the "date submitted" is still not an option. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Laura Bartlett

What type of Report are you selecting, are you choosing a Row Report to look at the columns in the sheet, or a Summary Report to look at the Summary field panel on the right of the sheet?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Laura Bartlett

Is the "Date Submitted" column a System Generated column? (Ex. the Date Created System Column?) If so, it will appear in the Report column dropdown with the System title of "Created" instead of your custom title:

If this isn't the issue, it would be helpful to see screen captures, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Laura Bartlett
    Laura Bartlett ✭✭✭✭

Yes, Genevieve, it is a system-generated column. Thank you for clarifying. I will see if there is some workarounds we can do to get a better capture of the date.

thank you!

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Laura Bartlett

Glad I could help! Just a note - your column will still be available in the Row Report. If you select "Created", it will show the data from the column you titled "Date Submitted". You shouldn't need to use other workarounds.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P. !

This is not directly related to the above issue, but I couldn't find a closer issue.

I am creating a report that shows a list of projects and the list is pulling from multiple sheets.

My question is, when I add the column, "Sheet Name" there are way more rows showing up than I need. I only need the sheet name to show up once.

In this screenshot, you can see I have a "Project Name" field that performs the action I want. I created that as a work around to this "Sheet Name" column issue. However, it would be better to use the sheet name and not the project name as project name is extra work to avoid the multiple row sheet name issue.

Is there a way I can not see all those other rows with the sheet name in them? I tried filters and groups and summaries, but no dice and I'm not even sure why the report shows more than one row since there is only one place the sheet name exists and that's on the top of the sheet.

Anyhoo, any help is much appreciated per the usual!

Jeff

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Jeff Casto

Happy to help!

It looks like your Report is picking up rows at the bottom of your sheet that perhaps used to have content in them but don't anymore. They're still active rows, so the Report brings them in if they meet your filter criteria.

Can you try adding a filter that excludes blank rows? Something like "If Active = not blank".

If I'm misunderstanding and this was just an example, then to clarify, there isn't a way to stop the sheet name coming in on specific rows. This will appear on every single row as you may have multiple sheets all mixed up together in a report. 🙂

Let me know if that helped!

• Hi @Genevieve P. ,

You are a friggin wizard. That If Active = not blank worked like a charm.

Thank you again and I will have more dumb questions on the way!

• Genevieve P.

Haha! Glad to hear it. 🧙