Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Update Picklist via API

Brett Evans
Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello,

It don't see the API hook to update a Picklist.  I would like to keep a set of shets and snc and thought this would be the easiest way.  

I thought it would be with the columns:

https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?javascript#columns

If it is not there yet, could I  request that enhancement?

Thanks,

Brett

Comments

• dAVE Inden
    dAVE Inden Employee

Hi Brett,

Are you looking to update the options to choose from for the Picklist column? You can do this via an update column request. You can find an example in the docs here:

https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?javascript#update-column

Note, when providing the options for a Picklist the array you provide will be the only options for the column. So, if you are looking to update a column to add a new value to the list you'll want to get that column's data first and then use it to update the column.

For example, if the array is currently:

["One", "Two", "Three"]

And you want to add "Four" you would give this array:

["One", "Two", "Three", "Four"]

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brett, 

Did you figure out how to update picklists with the API?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It has been quite a while since I have seen evidence that Brett stops by here.

That said, the API for Picklist's is quite OK. I have a working version using Python and have seen working versions in c#. Watch the Smarter Business Processes website for some upcoming news

https://www.smarterbusinessprocesses.com/

Craig

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Craig, 

I have a JS version working using postman. I'm trying to get my Quickbooks lists such as Vendor, Customer & Jobs into the drop-downs. What data do you use to populate picklists? Are you snagging it from another sheet?

Just started learning Python. I tried to make a call in a console on PythonAnywhere.com but I couldn't get authenticated. I'm going to need to study up some more. 

My end goal is using Smartsheet as an integrated approval workflow for QuicksBooks transactions.

I've been talking to Richard as well. Very knowledgeable guy.

-J

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have used a sheet within Smartsheet, a specific column within Smartsheet, and user defined at time of update. The idea of updating from an external source is interesting and would be only one additional piece to add.

My goal is a product, not a custom application.

Craig

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I've been searching for a method to set the array from an ODBX data source. How do you set the array from the columns in a sheet?

I have 10 or so sheets that will have multiple drop-down options populated from 4 different sheets or external data sources. 

Either way the external data from QuickBooks must get into Smartsheet. 

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but CData claims to have a bi-direction sync, which may be the simplest way to get 100+ sources of external data into Smartsheet. 

This discussion has been closed.