Formulas on forms

Options

Hello,

I have question do you know how I can use the same "formulas" for each new ligne generate by the form ?

The formulas has the purpose to take information from another cell.

MT for your help. I tried this tutorial but it does not work with forms : https://help.smartsheet.com/fr/articles/1641473-auto-filling-formulas-and-formatting

Have a good day 😁

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Joachim,

As long as the following is true it should work in most cases.

The new row will be auto-filled with the formulas if there are two rows below/above with the same formulas.

More details:

If the formula structure is the same above/below the Formula Autofill will add the formula(s) automatically.

Conditions That Trigger Formula Autofill

You’ll see formulas populate automatically when you type in a newly inserted or blank row that is:

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells. (This includes rows inserted from a form.)
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas.

More info: 

If the above doesn't work.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Developer Allaire
    Options

Hi, @Andrée Starå

Do I understand correctly that formula can be created from the form?

So when I have formula =CONTAINS('Hug', hugs:hugs) it should be applied automatically, not add single quote before it?

Because I observe a strange thing, I have formula in 100 rows below and no blank rows BUT formula becomes string, not get applied. Also, the article states the same that formula doesn't work when from the form: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476171-create-and-edit-formulas-in-smartsheet

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Developer Allaire

You shouldn’t add the formula to the form. It should be in the sheet and two or more rows before or after. (see the post above for more info)

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!