Template automation

Options

Hi Guys:

Need your expert opinion about a sheet that I created as a Template. Users will access the template daily and input data and save the file as a daily file. The daily file with the data needs to be emailed to users in the organization.

Question I have is - How do I setup email function on the template?? Or do i have to setup on the daily file with data when created??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When did you want the email to go out? AS soon as the user is finished filling in the data, or could it be set to a specific time?

• Sorry, replying to your email a bit late as I never got notified of a solution. Email to be sent out at a specific time.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could set it up daily by using the "Send as Attachment" feature and there will be an option to schedule, or...

You could add in a helper column of the system generated Created (date) type and another helper column that is a checkbox type and check all of the rows. Make sure this second one is called something unique to the daily file sheets such as [Daily File Report] or something along those lines.

Then create a report that points at the entire workspace where all of your daily files are saved.

In the "What?" section, select that second helper column and specify for rows that are checked.

In the "When?" section, specify that the Created (date) column "is today".

Make sure to include relevant columns to the daily report.

Now your report will pull all rows from all sheets within the workspace, but...

It will remove rows where the [Daily File Report] column isn't checked which will filter it down to only your daily files.

And it will remove rows where the Created (date) is not today which will filter out previous daily files.

This means all that is left will be rows from today's daily file.

Finally you can use the "Send as Attachment" feature to send this report that is only pulling rows from today's daily file out and schedule it to be recurring on a daily basis at a specific time.

Does all of that make sense?

• Thank you Paul. I will test it out. Greatly appreciated.