Row Limits

We are currently using Smartsheet to record the responses from our employees in a simple daily COVID symptom tracker form. We are currently exploring options to the sheet row limit and was wondering if anyone in the Smartsheet Community had any ideas or other possible solutions.

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How many employees will you receive responses from on a daily basis?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni

Around 4,500 employees, so we will be up against the row limit fairly quick.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you need to track historical data?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Deanna Vandermeer

Yes, we need to keep track of it so we have been exploring all possible options (including a download/export).

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have everyone's emails listed in the sheet? If not, would that be a possibility?

I am thinking an Update Request that goes out to everyone daily where they can update their row then set up a recurring email that send the sheet as an excel file to you daily at the end of the day.

Sending the daily email with the sheet attached will capture that static data for the date, and the update request means that you only need one row per employee.

They submit the update request today. Tonight you receive an email that has the sheet attached as an excel file which captures today's updates. Tomorrow another round of update requests get sent out. They get filled out with tomorrow's date (maybe a system generated modified date/time column to help automate that part), and then tomorrow night you get another excel file emailed to you with that day's data.

Does that make sense/sound like an option?

10xViz.com

• Deanna Vandermeer

I believe we may be capturing their email (if not, we could add that feature). This would be a great work around for the row limits provided the Director of Nursing for our district isn't needing this data history in the form of charts/graphs/analytics on a dashboard. That may be something they are also needing to track as well. Trying to find ways to not have this still be such a manual process but there may be no getting around that. We had looked into the moving rows function as well but we would need to have those receiving sheets set up in advance as well as some date-driven conditions to make that work. We are also exploring options using the API side of things. We do really appreciate all the additional insight, ideas and suggestions. Thank you.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

I had thought of the Move Row feature as well, but as you said... That would require setting the sheets up in advance and would require regular edits to the automation.

As for the analytics... You can run the metrics and create graphs and whatnot directly in excel, but that still involves manual edits to compile each export into one sheet or update formulas to account for new sheets/workbooks.

I am not very familiar with the API or it's capabilities though, but @Andrée Starå may be able to provide some insight/suggestions.

The biggest hurdle is the sheer volume. I will definitely revisit if I think of anything else that might work.

10xViz.com

• Deanna Vandermeer

Sounds good. You are truly the best and I always value your insight.

• What is the current maximum number of rows? Is there a max for columns as well? Does having vlookups or calculated columns impact the maximums?

I'd appreciate any information on this topic since the forums have a lot of different answers depending on when they came out.

Thanks in advance!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!