Automatically put new card subtasks under parent level

When I create a new subtask in either card or Gantt view, a new card is created, but it is automatically put at the bottom of all the cards instead of directly under the parent task.

Is there a way to change that so that cards for new subtasks are automatically put directly under their parent tasks?

Thank you

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi James,

I wonder how you create a new subtask?

When I add a subtask I do it by adding a new row above or below the row it should go to. It always get's the same level of indentation as the other row and thus is a new subtask for the same parent element.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Hi Stefan,

Yes I am able to do this effectively in the grid view, but when I put in a new subtask in the grid view and then go to the Card view, the new card for the subtask is all the way at the bottom, as opposed to right below the parent card where I would want it. So I have to move the card up manually to under the parent task in the card view.

I was hoping there was a way to make this less of a manual process and do it automatically. Please let me know if you know a way.

Thanks

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi James,

ok, I see, card view is the problem. I think, there is no automation doing this for you.

Reason in my opinion is that a Kanban board (=card view) is not the view to show hierarchy (and that's what the indentation shows) but to get an overview of current workload and to get a big bunch of work packages assigned quickly to a new status/person/whatever.

When you add a new subtask it may very well not have the same status/assignment as the parent element. So if parent element has the status "in progress", the new subtask cannot go into the same swim lane.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Got it, thank you Stefan