How do I reference the contents of a specific cell in a different sheet in the sheet summary?

Hello,

Basically, I am trying to write a formula in the Sheet Summary of a sheet that shows the contents of another cell on a different sheet. I am able to write a within sheet cell reference for example, =[Latest Update]77.

However, I want to change that formula to reference a specific cell from a different sheet.

I've tried the following with no luck:

=({[Projects & Other Activities Tracking]}, [Latest Update]77)

I do not want to perform any calculations on the information from the other sheet, just pull the same information into a Summary Sheet cell.

Thanks for any help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Use a cross sheet reference in an INDEX function.

=INDEX({Other Sheet Specific Cell}, 1)

• Rashaun G
    Rashaun G ✭✭✭

Thanks for replying Paul. When using the formula I get "#Incorrect Argument Set." In the Summary Sheet cell I wanted the formula to be in I entered, "=Index(", then via the formula prompt that appeared used the link to "Reference Another Sheet", and navigated to and selected the specific cell on another sheet I wanted. I wonder if full formula functionality isn't supported in Sheet Summaries?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is supported. I tested it. You should not be entering the quote and comma before creating the cross sheet reference.

=INDEX(

Once you have typed that is where you need to create the cross sheet reference and select the appropriate cell. Once that has been created, you would have

=INDEX({cross sheet reference name}

Then you would enter a comma and a 1 and finally close it out.

=INDEX({cross sheet reference name}, 1)

• Rashaun G
    Rashaun G ✭✭✭
    edited 07/28/20

Sorry for the mixup. My quotes were to indicate what I typed within them. I did this again and got the same error.

I typed:

=Index(

Using the link to Reference Another Sheet in the formula pop-up, I navigated to and selected the cell I wanted. Smartsheet completed the formula as follows which yields the error message:

=INDEX({AD&D Projects & Other Activities Tracking Range 1})

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when Smartsheet is creating the completed formula for me.

I also tried manually adding a comma to the formula Smartsheet generated just in case that was the issue and get the same error:

=INDEX({AD&D Projects & Other Activities Tracking Range, 1})

• Rashaun G
    Rashaun G ✭✭✭

Thanks Paul. That worked. I'm not good with these formulas (and they honestly drive me crazy). I clearly did not realize that the autocompleted formula from Smartsheet was not actually completed until I added more to it.

Thanks again

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!