How to keep the sort order of grid view in card view

Options
M_L
M_L ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 08/03/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I have a need to sort two columns, both ascending (works in Grid View) but that sort order is not staying for every column when I switch to card view.

The business goal is to sort by workstation, then by the priority of work order in the queue for the work station, so each station knows what to work on next (Work order at priority level 1, then 2, then 3 etc...). Card view is used to view each 'lane' and line up their work order in order of importance.

How do I maintain required the sort in card view? Is this possible? Ideally we want to avoid reports for each station, and leave it at the sheet level.

- Matt

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi Matt,

When you Sort the sheet in the Grid View this should then organize the order in which the cards are displayed in Card View.

Do you mean that once cards have changed lanes, you want to maintain the Sort? Sorting is a one-time reorganization of the sheet. If things are moved around, you will need to re-sort the sheet in order to organize it properly again. This means that if someone drags a card to the wrong sort-order, you'll need to re-sort it to automatically bring it to the appropriate slot. (See our Help Center for more information on Sorting).

If this isn't what you meant, it would be useful to see a screen capture of your sheet in both grid view and card view to understand, but please block out any sensitive data!

Thanks,

Genevieve

• M_L
    M_L ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

We sort for 'Table - New' then by the work order sequence:

In card view if someone moves a card to another position, the sort is then off, and we cannot make it go back to the original order, even when we re-sort the grid view.

This is after initial sort in Grid: correct sort order

After initial sort in Card view - the order is off. Meaning the sort order in grid view is not transferring to card, even after multiple re-sorts.

Can we lock the columns that we want to sort? Would that hold the order in card view?

-Matt

• M_L
    M_L ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for the answer. If I have it correct - even if the card does not change lanes, but changes position in the lane in card view, that position change overrides the sort of grid view forever, regardless of how many times you re-sort in grid view.

I will happily submit an enhancement request as I see benefit to sorting cards, or at least enforcing a sort from grid into card view.

Thanks for your time,

Matt

• Chris Guthrie
    Options

Did this get into an enhancement request? I have an identical scenario that requires this functionality.

Prioritization Scenario:

An executive wants to login to Smartsheet to look at a large scale list of projects across multiple teams to prioritize across them. If that executive uses the Card view to drag one card to the top of the Backlog, that ordering is not reflected in Grid view when also filtering to look at only projects in the Backlog. Same for the other way around, if that executive looks at Grid view and drags a row to the top, that ordering change is not reflected in Card view—even if the filtering (the cards or rows displayed) is identical.

Chris

• M_L
    M_L ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Chris,

Yes, I submitted the enhancement request under the title "Maintain or enforce sort from Grid view in Card view". I do not know if it helps to add another request to give the idea more weight.

Hopefully the feature makes it into the queue for development soon.

Matt

• Mireille Pfeffer
    Options

Hello, I am having a similar issue. I create a Gantt chart and I am limiting to Level3 indentation.

My Sheet has 5 projects components and I am using color as well. When I go in Card view:

Level1 order is kept

Level2: I reordered it to keep all the subtasks in the same color together (I reordered them manually to match the Gantt.

Level3: this is at that level that I want to move my cards through the lanes (I have a lot of subtasks) and they are all mixed up again. at that level, reordering is messy.

This seems like a Bug, what can I do?

Thank you in advance

Mireille

• M_L
    M_L ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mireille,

I submitted an enhancement request to enforce, or have the option to enforce, the sort order from grid view into card view.

Unless someone else in the community has an answer, your sorting of the third level 'sub-tasks' might have to be done manually in card view, and will not change the order of the underlying grid. The manual sorting of cards does not change the placement of the row in grid view, I believe it is only a visual representation.

Example of a WBS with a few levels of breakdown:

I have it sorted in ascending order here and it appears in card view in 1-3 order.

I resorted, in descending order, and the sort did not translate into card view:

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/get-started/card-view - is a good link for more information about card view

Sorry for the news. I hope someone else may have a good workaround that will save you some time!

Matt

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reading this thread made me realize something about this forum that I do not like.

The question appears at the top of the thread, and then the accepted answer shows up under it.

Now, I wanted to read through the thread to see how the topic evolved; follow the conversation so to speak. But the accepted answer does not appear in the thread. It gets taken out of its chronological place. That doesn't make sense. Is there a user setting to change this?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @James Keuning

No, there is no setting to change where the Accepted Answer appears. If a comment is marked as the one that answered the original question, it will appear immediately beneath the question under the heading "Best Answer", leaving the rest of the comments under the heading, "Answers".

You can read about this functionality in this FAQ, here. Please also provide your feedback to our team by filling in the Community Feedback form from the menu in the top-left of the Community (see here)!

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @James Keuning

We were able to change the Accepted Answer feature in the Community to keep the Accepted Answers within the original thread of comments as well as appearing at the top, pinned as the Best Answer.

Thank you for providing your feedback!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• J. Campana
    Options

Hi @Matt Lanterman -

I have this same sorting request in card view. Have you heard anything regarding your enhancement request?

Thanks,

Julia

• M_L
    M_L ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/17/21
    Options

@J. Campana I have not heard back regarding my submission. I believe the requests are posted to an internal backlog of some sort and their Product Development Team reviews and selects what to work on. At least that is what I think happens.

Not sure if their PD team would notify a user if their idea is selected.

• aehrenwo
    Options

It is almost a year later. Is this sorting feature even on the road map? there should be a feature/check box in the sheet settings that allows you to link the sort order between grid and card. I want to have the cards sorted by descending date and that doesn't appear to be an option.

• Bryan Langley
    Options

Really need this working as well, can we get an update as to whether the team is working on this or not, This could be a gating factor whether my team continues to use Smartsheet or moves to another program