Is there a simpler way...

...to do the following:

At the beginning of every month, take the values from a sheet and copy them to another. Essentially, take a "snapshot" of the data in dynamic fields, and store it in another place. Details...

1) The values I want to take are in a Sheet Summary. Since those can't be linked to (correct?), I needed to replicate those calculations in the sheet itself and then hide the columns to keep its same view.

2) In a what might be called a "staging sheet," I linked to the data created in the columns mentioned in (1). I can't link directly to the data in those columns (1) in my final sheet because: 1) The values are dynamic, and 2) There is no function to copy just a cell to another place - only a row (correct?) - see below for my workflow step. If there were, I wouldn't need the staging sheet.

3) Then, created a Workflow in my staging sheet to copy the row to its final destination. It puts it at the bottom, so I'll have to go and move it to the top and add the date, but at least if I forget to take the snapshot at the beginning of the month, it will be captured.

Are my assumptions correct and might there be a way with fewer steps?

Jason

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How many different values are you pulling into the final sheet and why?

You should be able to use the system generated Created (date) column type to capture when the row is copied over to the final sheet.

Why do you need the new rows at the top of the final sheet?

What is your end goal for collecting this static data?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jason Wirl

I think we could use a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to capture the information from the Staging Sheet to the Final one in the correct order.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.