Autopopulation

Michael Hair
Michael Hair ✭✭
edited 08/04/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there way for when I choose a customer from either a dropdown or contact list in a form, that I could have their customer ID autopopulate into a separate field? For example, if we choose a customer name in the form, their customer ID would autopopulate in a column in the sheet and possibly in the form itself.

Best Answer

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello again @Michael Hair

You could have the customer ID drop into the sheet by using Datamesh or a vlookup if you had all Customers and IDs on a separate sheet. It couldn't populate in realtime on the form itself but it could automatically drop onto the sheet after the user submitted the form. I would suggest locking the column and adding a description that says "auto populate" or something to that affect so users of the sheet will know that the ID comes from another source.

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Hey @Matt Johnson

Thank you for the helpful response. Do you know how the vlookup formula works? When I try to use it to reference another sheet, I get a result that says #incorrect argument. This sheet that I am referencing has the customer information including the customer ID.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Michael Hair

Please post the formula you are using here in the thread and let's take a look.

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• @Matt Johnson

Here is the formula:

Here is the sheet I'm referencing:

• @Matt Johnson

That works! Thanks for the help.