Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Create double entries without overwriting data

Options

I have created a new smartsheet document (Simple Excel like doc) for my team members for data entries. We have noticed that if 2 of them are enteringdata on the same row and at the same time, instead of creating 2 entries, the system overwrites the original entry. Is there a way to stop this from happenning. This becomes a real problem when many people are using the same sheet for data entries. 

Thanks in advance

Rowena

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Rowena,

If collaborators are entering data on rows that contain, or have previously contained, data (even if they're currently blank), the data will become overridden. To reduce the likelihood of this happening, I'd recommend having your collaborators first *right-click* on the row and select Insert to add a brand new, empty row in the sheet.

They can then add their data to that row instead.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/25/17
    Options

Rowena,

If this data is a new row, you might consider using WebForms.

If the data already exists and they are updating the same row and same columns, you may have a workflow / process problem.

Every task (in my opinion) needs one owner. Who is responsible to update which column should be clear and not likely to run into overwriting problems.

Though they can still occur.

Craig

• thank you both very usefull!! 

This discussion has been closed.