Bi-directional sheet linking?

Is there anyway to bi-directly link two cells or rows between two sheets so if an change is made in either sheet, it is replicated to the other sheet? I found a similar question that was asked in 2015 that stated there was no way but checking if there is any new capabilities.

We have tried datamesh but it is one way from source to target similar to cell linking.

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Brian Bertlin

There might be a possible workaround.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Brian Bertlin
    Brian Bertlin ✭✭
    edited 08/06/20

@Andrée Starå Here goes :-)

Mildly complicated but hopefully this more detailed explanation will help.

Sheets 1, 2, 3, etc are lists of Project Issues, one sheet per project, some of the issues are assigned to the Engineering team

Sheet A is a sheet used by Engineering team to track all issues across all projects. Effectively, all rows assigned to Engineering in sheets 1-N above also appear in Sheet A. Sheet A is integrated to Jira via Jira connector. Unfortunately, the Jira connector doesn't support connecting to a Smartsheet report which I think would solve my problem.

I would like to bidirectionally link the rows in Sheets 1-N to the corresponding row in Sheet A so as updates are done in any sheet, the changes are reflected in the corresponding sheet.

For example, if row 10 in Sheet 1 is assigned to Engineering, that row will also show up in Sheet A but could be row 22. If any cell in row 10 in Sheet 1 is updated, I want that same cell in Sheet A, row 22 to be updated automatically. Correspondingly, if a cell in Sheet A, row 22 is updated, I would like the same cell in row 10, Sheet 1 updated automatically.

I hope this isn't too confusing.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Brian Bertlin

One possible way to solve it would be to have helper columns for each column on each sheet, and then we'd collect that to the Main Sheet. (It might not be worth it when you have many columns).

What do you think?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.