Is there a way to have an attachment within a dashboard web content widget?

Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

On a sheet, when I open an attached PDF, I get a link starting with https:// to that PDF. I want to use that URL on a dashboard but when I try to use it, I get the following error.

This doesn't seem valid to me as I have no restrictions set for the web widget (there seems to be only two)

I don't want to publish the sheet but I am curious why I get the error and if it's something I can fix or if it is just not possible to use that attachment's URL in a web content widget.

BTW- The reason I want to do this, is that I am finding some limitation in sharing the content of a row in the format that works for my purpose. What I am doing is I am creating a PDF Form that has the layout I want, and then using the create document beta to create a PDF in that layout. Then I want to show that PDF on the sheet using the widget.

Thanks!

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

Answers

• Hello @Kevin Smith,

Although you are unable to do this within a Web Content Widget, you can do this using the Shortcut widget. In addition to this, you can rename the attachment so rather than it showing a long URL for your PDF, you can rename this to E.G PDF Form. Please see my example below:

See more on this here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518558-widget-types-for-smartsheet-dashboards

Furthermore, with the Shortcut Widget, you can directly link a file from a Shared Drive such as G Drive or Onedrive.

Kindest Regards

Sean

• gregjohnsondsm43126
    gregjohnsondsm43126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/28/21

I have not been able to find a way to rename the link to a file stored on a cloud drive. For example our files are stored using numeric file names that do not mean anything to the casual user. I would like to have a link to them using the shortcut widget, but I can't change the name that is displayed. Above Sean mentions that this is possible. Anyone know how to do this?

EDIT: Ok, so it is really that simple. Just select the file name and start typing. I was expecting an entry field somewhere.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Sean. The problem I am trying to solve would require the PDF to be displayed, not just a link to it. In a web content widget, it would show the PDF, just not sure why it will not show one from Smartsheet. Thank you for mentioning the shortcut, I am sure it will help others. I use it often and find it a very vital feature.

Thank you!

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)