Is it possible to add any form of Approval / Draft data for a smartsheet, like one would do in Excel

Hi,

For compliance I really need to add Draft, Review and Approved data to a Smartsheet, by when and whom etc, like you might get on many document. I am actually trying to do a risk assessment, and had it in Excel, but I find some Smartsheet very helpful. In Excel one would just had a table on another worksheet with the relevant review data. However can one get around this in the Smartsheet world.

Huge thanks for any wisdom,

Edward

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Edward Bedell

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Really appreciate your reply.

On my Excel Risk Assessment I would have the following to capture version, document status and review status which is important for compliance. I am using Confluence to hold my ISMS. I find SmartSheets more powerful in many ways than Excel especially with its workflow and forms, however it is lacking on this.

I did find that I could add some "Summary" column this morning for a sheet which at least allows me to add

I could Save off a copy of a Smartsheet when reviewed and approved then potentially link to a read only version of this. I could potentially export/publish it to Excel and record it there, so I am effectively using SmartSheet to manage the process then one would "publish" at certain times?

Not sure if there are any Add-Ins that could help. May be that I am not seeing something. One other thought I had was having another "Document Review" SmartSheet that recorded Statii for other SmartSheets.

Thoughts? Really appreciate your help.

And yes keep well,

Ed

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Edward Bedell

Yes, the Sheet Summary would be a great way to handle it.

Another option/idea could be to have a Risk Assessment Intake Process with a form and then link that to the individual Risk Assessment sheets.

What do you think?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Thanks for this. Appreciated.

Each row is a risk assessment, so the sheet represents the "Risk Assessment" document. Bit of a grey area as SmartSheets is very much a SaaS system whereas an Excel document is a document. We are doing 27001 by the way.

With the workflow, one is processing one row at a time through it, whereas I am seeking a workflow, if you like for the entire sheet. In the real world I think one would baseline a risk assessment ie "Review it on a date", and then one perhaps should create a snapshot of this "reviewed risk assessment" which perhaps could be a seperate sheet, or PDF or XLS. So perhaps developing a "snapshotting" mechanism is the answer, and a simple first approach may be to save as a new sheet with a title such as "Register_Approved_20200812". Can set the Summary fields as well. At least it is a mechanism.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Edward Bedell

Ok.

You could have an automatic report with an included PDF or Excel file on a recurring basis.

That could be the snapshots.

Make sense?