How do I create a automation workflow in a report?

I managed to create a workflow in a report but I am now unable to get to the existing one to edit it OR create a new one. There was a pop up that got me to the automation workflow page to create the first one but I can't get the pop up to come back or to get into an edit view. I confirmed in the activity log of the report that there was an automated workflow created.

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Maggie Jones

Not sure I follow!

It’s not possible to create Workflows from reports.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello @Andrée Starå,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm limited to the screenshots I can take since I can't recreate this process but I've included the screenshot of the report activity log which does show that a workflow was created in the report. I was collaborating on a call with 2 other coworkers and they watched me do it the first time but none of us can re create the process. t

I believe we created the workflow by clicking on the drop down arrow the small column on the far left side of the report->select "Send Update Request" then I got a pop up advocating for adding automated workflows, I clicked on the pop up and it brought me into the automation workflow page as if it was in a normal smartsheet and not a report

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/17/20

@Maggie Jones

Happy to help!

The workflow was actually created in the sheet, but it's also shown in the Activity Log in the report.

To clarify. You might have created the Update Request in the Report, but it's added to the sheet.

Make sense?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Maggie Jones

As Andree perfectly said it, you cannot create workflow in a report. You create them on sheets.

The actvity log tells you what you have done in Smartsheet as a whole. The fact that you viewed a report and created a workflow minutes later doesn't imply you created the workflow in the report.It just said that you viewed a report, then 6 minutes later, you created a workflow.

Probably on one of those sheet that are used to create the report.

Reports by default displays sheets name where the rows come from as a link. It's quite possible you clicked on one of them then created the report on this sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Maggie Jones

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!